Thursday, March 15, 2012

*Training in progress*


Between a beer and some snacks we are on track with the development of our game. There have been so many ideas piling up that it has been quite difficult to choose what to put ingame, what to discard and what to introduce at a later time. I can tell you that it's a really exciting and motivating experience, but there is a lot, as in *a lot* of work to do. Since us 3 are graduated in Computer Science, we weren't really afraid of coding, but the graphics and the art represented a big issue for us, especially since Vic & Enri are specialized in mobile (Android/iOS) development.

Luckily a few friends decided to believe in our project and to help us, and I will introduce their contributes from time to time; even so, the load is really huge, so if anyone else out there would like to lend an hand, particularly with monster designing, we'd be really glad (and we'll make sure to reward you if things go well :) ).
We've received some sketches and artworks, but they were mostly scans of their papersheets, so they needed to be digitalized, edited, inked, colored, etc.

With a little bit of courage (and foolishness) I decided I might give it a try.
We bought a pen tablet, acquired a professional manga/illustration software, and today I got the equipment ready & set up.
Yup, there are also a yogurt (cherry flavor!) and a Sprite Zero, those help a lot.
I started practicing...and I have to admit that for the first hour I felt really, really discouraged and hopeless. I felt like a kid doodling on paper, minus the happiness of the kid. My lines were all sloppy and crappy. G, Maru, Kabura...there were a thousand tools and I didn't know which one to use to do what I had in mind. Everything I tried looked utterly horrible. I felt like throwing it all away and forget about it. 
Luckily I endured a bit, and thanks to some tutorials, guides, and manuals I started to slowly get the hang of it. After a while it became even funny, I started experimenting more and more, and without me realizing I have been drawing for hours and hours, till I had to stop because my arm started to feel stiff and stingy. I think that I should get a taller chair, in order to lift my arm more.
I am aware I am no pro, but I managed to get something done, I took a sketch from May, I edited and polished some parts, got some coloring & shading done, I added some effects. I hope that my first work is at least passable.
After this one, I'll try to collect some more experience and then start drawing too like I used to do years and years ago. I feel tired but satisfied.
See you soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment